I will be living in the Salt Lake City for at least the next year. I accepted a position at this place
I will be an RN on the orthopedic and trauma floor.
Lots of mixed emotions about this decision.
Excited. scared. happy. sad. anxious.
My original plan upon finishing nursing school was to take state boards in utah and def head back to CA.
Well obviously things have changed. Little did i know back in 2007 that the economy was going to go to crap and have a negative effect on the nursing job market. I have talked to various nurses in the Bay and have searched/applied for jobs in CA. No response to my apps, and alot of the hospitals are on hiring freezes :(
The decision and possibility of staying in utah is one that I have been thinking about for the last couple of months. Lots of pondering and of course the classic pros and cons of staying in utah and what i would do if i were offered a position on the floor as an RN.
PROS of staying: already established, know the area, only 20 mins from skiing (and now will have time to ski, as well as w/ my dad when he comes to ski), finally have time to hangout w/ friends here , amazing and supportive staff to work w/ (very important to have with transitioning from student to professional nurse role), love ortho and trauma, only 10 min commute to work, love my eyebrow waxer, love my hairstlyist, (those r hard things to find, when relocating)
CONS: family and friends states away :(, holidays most likely will be spent here due to work scheduling, the beach (esp tahoe) not a couple hours of a drive away, possibility of having a longer commute, re establish with housing, unfamiliar environment, slower time to pay off loans (pay for utah nurses=not great, long winters, no guarantee that the staff would be as supportive and AWESOME as what i work w/ now
I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to work as a CNA on the orthopedic and trauma floor with an amazing staff. I couldn't ask to work on a better floor. I have developed a passion for orthopedics and trauma. Over the past couple of years i have taken care of patients in various skiing and biking accidents, MVA's (motor vehicle accidents), shootings, and of course the elective orthopedic surgeries. I am honored to have been offered this position. The hospital as a whole is #1 in the nation for quality care, and MY UNIT is top 5% in the nation for exceptional patient experience. I couldn't have asked for a better place to begin my official carrier as a registered nurse.

Its sad you wont be in CA but I think you made the right decision. Well, by going off your pro's and con's list. Hilarious that you put hair stylist and and waxer on there.. only you Jen only you! XO Again, Congrats!
ReplyDelete